free fly fishing retreats for women with breast cancer
Casting for Recovery was founded on the principles that the natural world is a healing force and that breast cancer survivors deserve one weekend – free of charge and free of the stresses from medical treatment, home, or workplace – to experience something new and challenging in a beautiful, safe environment.
Breast Cancer Retreat Highlights
- The two-and-a-half day retreats are 100% free for participants.
- Retreats incorporate fly fishing instruction and emotional support, ending with a half day of guided catch-and-release fly fishing.
- The focus is on wellness, empowerment and opportunity.
- CfR is committed to ethnic, socioeconomic and cultural diversity. Participants range in age from 23 to 90+!
- At least one medical professional, one psychosocial counselor and four fly fishing instructors trained specifically for Casting for Recovery staff each retreat.
- The program is appropriate for women in all stages of treatment and recovery and various stages of physical and emotional adaptation to breast cancer.
Casting for Recovery provides an opportunity for women whose lives have been profoundly affected by breast cancer to gather in a natural setting and address quality of life and survivorship issues with other women in similar circumstances.
- Post-retreat evaluations show that after attending a breast cancer retreat:
- 100% would recommend the program to others
- 96% felt connected with other participants
- 96% gained a new support base with new friends
- 91% felt better able to cope with their situation
- 92% felt more aware and accepting of themselves
- 91% learned something new about living with breast cancer